At Aylward we value music because it is a most powerful and unique form of communication that can change and impact the way children feel, think and act. We believe that teaching music helps the body and the mind work together.
We believe that every child should have the opportunity to develop their musical potential and we aim to nurture and encourage musical development across the school.
Our whole curriculum is shaped by our school vision, which aims to enable all children, regardless of background, ability, additional needs, to flourish to become the very best version of themselves they can possibly be. We teach the National Curriculum, supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression. This ensures that skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced to maximise learning for all children.
During the year, all children will have the opportunity to develop their understanding, skills and techniques in music. We are very proud of our musical achievements at Aylward.
We welcome parents to our annual music concert and productions throughout the year to share the musical ability we have at our school. Our peripatetic teachers who come into school to teach music lessons are giving opportunities for children to learn and develop their skills from an experienced specialist teacher. We offer lessons in guitar, piano, flute and trumpet.
By the time children leave our school they will have:
· A musical understanding underpinned by levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music;
· An awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres;
· An understanding of the historical, social and cultural origins of music;
· The ability to give verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately;
· A passion for a diverse range of musical activities.